top of page

What is the ETIAS, set for 2025?

The EU is planning to go even further with its travel restrictions come 2025.

The European Travel Information and Authorization System (ETIAS) will be another new system for travellers within the bloc.

The new travel authorisation system will need to be applied for ahead of a person’s travels to 30 European countries involved in the scheme. Ireland is exempt as it's part of the Common Travel Area.

It is due to be introduced in mid-2025 but there is no exact date as to when it will come into force.

That means you do not need to have an ETIAS for travel to Europe at the moment and, as the system is not live, the website itself is not live or taking applications, so you cannot yet get an official ETIAS. Any websites claiming to offer this service today are not official and should be avoided.

When ETIAS does become official, visa-exempt travellers from third countries will need to apply for it at a cost of €7. The processing time is expected to be between 30 minutes and 96 hours.

In simple terms, that means if you are travelling to the EU for a short stay and are not a citizen of an EU or Schengen country, then you will need an ETIAS.

Similarly to the terms of the EES, a ‘short stay' refers to visits, holidays or business trips that have a duration of up to 90 days and are taken within a 180 day period.

If you are travelling on a visa, you won’t need an ETIAS and if you’re a British passport holder but have EU residency you also won’t need one.

What will the rules around the ETIAS be when they go live?

​​ETIAS will cost €7 for most travellers, but will be free for those under the age of 18 and aged 70 and over.

Each application will last for three years and allow holders to travel on multiple trips during this period using the same one.

There are caveats that you should be aware of, though.

If your passport expires during the ETIAS validity period, you will need to apply for a new ETIAS.

It will also not be valid if it expires during your stay. In such cases, you would need to apply for a new ETIAS in advance of your travels, to cover the duration of your stay.

65 views0 comments


bottom of page